California members express high satisfaction with providers in recent survey
Yet they also feel it could be easier to obtain services.
In the 2022 Member Satisfaction Survey, Magellan* members expressed high levels of satisfaction with their therapist or counselor. According to results, Magellan achieved an overall member satisfaction rating of 81%.
California commercial health plans
- Overall member satisfaction: 75%
- Strengths: Respect for cultural and language needs (82%); Convenient service locations (77%)
- Opportunities: Ease of getting what is needed (57%)
Commercial health plan members appreciated providers’ respect for cultural and language needs and convenient service locations, but felt it could be easier to access needed services.
California employee assistance programs (EAPs)
- Overall member satisfaction: 87%
- Strengths: Ease of contacting current counselor (94%); Ability to listen and understand concerns (93%)
- Opportunities: Convenience of service locations (75%)
EAP members expressed highest levels of satisfaction with the ease of contacting their current counselor and the counselors’ ability to listen and understand concerns, but they felt service locations could be more convenient.
Here are some ways you can help improve the member experience:
- Return member calls within a reasonable timeframe. Magellan’s standard is within one business day.
- Set up an auto email/voicemail response that indicates your current availability and how soon the member can expect to hear back from you.
- If you don’t accept appointment requests via email, set up an auto response that invites members to call you for an appointment instead.
- Keep your appointment availability status up to date via MagellanProvider.com. The information you enter in the Provider Data Change Form feeds our provider directory for members in real time.
- If you do not have availability when a member contacts you, please refer the member back to Magellan for a new referral.
Where Magellan is making changes to improve things for members:
In the 2022 survey, responses to certain questions presented opportunities where Magellan has already made changes or will continue to strive for improvement, including:
- Increasing members’ access to timely care by offering Prompt Care Network status to high-volume providers who guarantee access to care within five days while maintaining high quality standards.
- Offering members assistance in finding an initial appointment.
- Improving Magellan’s relationships with network providers through strategic engagement and education opportunities.
- Increasing outreach to providers to validate practice information and new referral availability.
Thank you for supporting Magellan members with access to timely care!
*In California, Magellan does business as Human Affairs International of California, Inc. and/or Magellan Health Services of California, Inc. – Employer Services.