Survey shows California providers highly satisfied with Magellan's telehealth response in 2020
Where you say there's still room for improvement and how you can let your voice be heard
To ensure continued collaboration with providers in support of Magellan* members’ well-being, we annually distribute a provider satisfaction survey to all providers who have served our members. If you responded to the 2020 Provider Satisfaction Survey, thank you! If you have received the 2021 survey email, be sure to share your feedback with us.
According to the California 2020 provider satisfaction survey** results, you rated Magellan highest on the expanded support we provided for telehealth services during COVID-19 and our language assistance services. Overall, you gave us a satisfaction rating of 54.7%, which was below our goal of 75%. The survey response rate was 27.5%.
In the 2020 survey, there were several specific areas where you were particularly satisfied with Magellan, including:
- Claims process
- Magellan resolves claims quickly. – 74.1%
- Magellan’s service
- Satisfaction with provider credentialing process. – 74.5%
- Telehealth services
- Expanded support for telehealth services in response to COVID-19 helped me/my practice/organization continue delivering care. – 77.8%
- Language assistance program
- Satisfaction with language assistance services (i.e., interpretation, translation). – 100%
Opportunities for improvement
The following service areas were key drivers impacting your expressed levels of satisfaction:
- When you think about your current plan contracts, how do Magellan’s reimbursement rates compare? – 21.4%
- How effective or ineffective was Magellan at meeting your needs? – 60.8%
- How easy or difficult was it to get what you needed? – 55.4%
- My issues, questions, or concerns are addressed the first time I raise them. – 61.5%
Magellan’s quality improvement and network staff thoroughly analyze practitioners' feedback, and we continue to implement quality improvements over the year, such as:
- New channels to communicate with Magellan, including digital self-service tools for checking eligibility and benefits and prior authorization processes.
- Enhanced training for telephonic staff to reduce internal transfers.
- Improved interactive voice response (IVR) routing to get providers to the right person.
- Streamlined clinical collection processes for inpatient and intensive outpatient authorization requests.
- New model of care assigning dedicated care managers to specific members from the time of admission through discharge.
We continually target areas of service for improvement based on provider input from survey results as well as our Provider Advisory Group members who represent the California participating practitioner perspective.
You're invited to join our Provider Advisory Group
In 2021, we will continue to develop actions to further increase satisfaction in these key areas. Participating in our Provider Advisory Group (PAG) is one way you can contribute to improving the provider-Magellan relationship. The PAG consists of providers at all licensure levels and key Magellan staff who provide specific information for review and input from our providers. We welcome your feedback and find it invaluable in improving our service to you. If you are interested in serving on the PAG, please contact the Chair, Chris Daher, vice president of provider relations at DaherC@MagellanHealth.com.
*In California, Magellan does business as Human Affairs International of California, Inc. and/or Magellan Health Services of California, Inc. – Employer Services.
**Note: The 2020 survey design and administration, including the overall satisfaction question and rating scale, changed from 2019; consequently, the 2020 results cannot be compared to the 2019 results.